Policy Owner & Oversight: VP, Human Resource
The Human Resource Department is the designated office responsible for reviewing, educating and advancing the compliance of the policy within our institution, with a designated official overseeing the matter across the organisation.
SEGi University is firmly committed to maintaining a campus environment that values individual and cultural differences, the constitutional right to free speech, and the open exchange of ideas. This commitment to free expression and tolerance is integral to a rich learning environment, yet it must be safeguarded against acts of harassment and discrimination that can undermine the quality of this academic and professional community.
- Non-Discrimination: SEGi University unequivocally prohibits discrimination, harassment, and any form of prejudiced treatment based on the protected characteristics of race, religion, gender, disability, marital status, pregnancy, maternity, sexual orientation, order of protection, gender identity and expression, age, and sex. Every member of the University community is entitled to equal opportunities, privileges, and rights, irrespective of these characteristics.
- Free Expression: The University community, including students, faculty, administrators, and staff, is duty-bound to respect one another and demonstrate tolerance for differing opinions. While free expression is cherished, it should not infringe upon the rights of others or create a hostile work or academic environment. Acts of harassment and discrimination based on any of the protected characteristics are unequivocally prohibited and will not be tolerated.
- Retaliation: SEGi University categorically condemns retaliation against individuals who exercise their rights by reporting policy violations, filing complaints, or participating in investigations. Any form of retaliation, whether in the form of harassment, discrimination, threats, or negative consequences on employment or academic progress, is strictly prohibited and will be addressed separately.
- Corrective Actions: Violations of this Anti-Discrimination and Anti-Harassment Policy will result in appropriate corrective actions as per the University’s rules and regulations. These actions can range from disciplinary measures, including expulsion for students and termination of employment for employees, to ensure the policy’s enforcement and the protection of the University community.
- Non-discriminatory admissions: SEGi University upholds a rigorous non-discriminatory admission policy that ensures equal opportunities for qualified students from all walks of life, regardless of their social status, gender, religion, sect, or disability. Our University staunchly rejects any form of discrimination, particularly in the admission, demonstrating our commitment to equal educational opportunities.
- Inclusive Environment: We are dedicated to creating an inclusive environment, which includes accessible facilities and services for individuals with disabilities. We pledge to identify, remove, and prevent barriers to accessibility, ensuring a supportive environment across all our campuses.
- Eliminating Harassment: SEGi University strictly prohibits all forms of harassment, including that based on an individual’s abilities, ethnicity, religion, or gender, and especially towards those with disabilities. We are committed to preventing and addressing any instances of harassment promptly and effectively.
- Accessibility Initiatives: Our commitment to non-discrimination extends to providing reasonable accommodations, support, and accessible facilities for individuals with disabilities. We strive to ensure that employment opportunities and academic programmes are accessible to all, eliminating disparities and promoting equity.
- Prevention and Training: SEGi University is committed to providing educational programmes that raise awareness about anti-harassment, non-discrimination, sexual assault, dating/domestic violence, stalking, and the prevention of such acts. We inform our students and employees of available support services within the University and the surrounding community. We also encourage and facilitate the reporting of any form of discrimination, harassment, or violence to the relevant authorities and the Office of Equal Opportunity and Access. Annual training is provided for employees and students to ensure compliance with mandated reporting, crime reporting, and complaint procedures.
- Equal Opportunities: All admissions to SEGi University is based on academic merit with zero discriminations. All students who meet the education requirements set by the relevant authority are eligible to enroll, including refugees.
- Reporting and Complaint Procedures: Reporting and complaint procedures are outlined for filing complaints against employees or students based on protected characteristics. Different procedures exist for allegations of sexual harassment, sexual assault/misconduct, domestic violence, dating violence, or stalking. All complaints will be addressed with utmost seriousness and thoroughness.
- Confidentiality and Privacy: SEGi University adheres to strict principles of confidentiality in all matters related to disability accommodations. All communication and information regarding an individual’s disability will be handled with the utmost privacy and in compliance with the university’s policies and procedures.
This policy reaffirms our dedication to fostering an inclusive and welcoming academic and professional environment where freedom of expression is balanced with the principles of respect, diversity, and non-discrimination. It underscores the University’s commitment to addressing any violations and ensuring that all members of our community can thrive.
The full copy of this policy can be accessible via the SEGi Connexion Staff Portal.
Policy created on 2022Policy reviewed on 2023