Academic freedom is specifically pertinent for the freedom of faculty members, Research scholars and students in the institution and embraces freedom to speak, write and express thoughts without unreasonable restriction. The academic staff and the students shall be adjudged through an established criteria for their intellectual and professional inputs, not on personal beliefs and political or religious views. SEGi believes that the restriction of academic freedom affects intellectual and professional accomplishments. Hence it is the guarantee of the university to allow the faculty members and the students to learn in an atmosphere where they can freely share their ideas, do research in any topic of interest and speak publicly in their chosen areas. The purpose of the academic freedom policy of SEGi University is to develop teaching and learning by utilising all means to support the optimal progress of the educational philosophy of instruction in the programmes put by the University. SEGi encourages a diversity of teaching and learning methods including plans aimed to help the students to work and learn in autonomous environment of conviction and freedom of thought.
Policy Owner & Oversight: DVC (Academics)
The DVC Academic office is the designated office responsible for reviewing, educating and advancing the compliance of the policy within our institution, with a designated official overseeing the matter across the organisation.
- To ensure that academic staff and students have freedom within the law to hold and express opinions and ideas; develop and advance new concepts & proposals; and present variety of points of view, without placing themselves at risk of losing their privileges or jobs;
- To enable academic teaching staff & faculty to fulfil their functions without discrimination or suppression of any kind.
- To permit academics to manage their activities resourcefully, to teach without intrusion, subjected to accepted professional principles with regard to standards and methods of teaching.
- To maintain an effective, harmless, and supportive learning environment and promote an equitable & fair atmosphere in their relationships with students.
- Academic freedom encompasses the dual prerogative for academic staff to determine their instructional methods and maintain academic standards. This implies that academic staff have the autonomy to choose how they convey course content, while also shouldering the accountability and responsibility for the effectiveness of their teaching methodologies. This dynamic interplay between freedom and accountability forms the cornerstone of SEGi University’s commitment to fostering a robust and intellectually stimulating educational environment.
Responsibility of Faculty Members:
- Teaching and Research: The faculty member is under obligation to fulfil his/her teaching and research responsibilities. The faculty has to develop and improve his/her scholarly capability, to adhere to voluntary self- discipline and judgement in transmitting knowledge. The faculty member shall be effective as a teacher and scholar. He/she is expected to ensure the delivery of the academic content of the course, and promote fundamental values of the rule of law, human liberty, mutual respect, and tolerance for those with different faiths, beliefs and opinions. He/she shall avoid promoting or giving a platform for furthering extremist ideologies or terrorism
- Students: The students are entitled to a fair treatment in an environment of mutual respect within the teacher- student relationship. Faculty members are not allowed to refuse to teach any student on the ground of student’s religion, color, and belief. The faculty member is not allowed to use his/her authority as a teacher to mishandle, to harass or discriminate due to religion, race, color, handicap, or any other reason. The Faculty members shall make every reasonable exertion to promote honest academic conduct among their students and ensure that the assessments of students reflect their true performance. The students should be protected and be given the right to challenge or give alternate views and not reprimanded for holding the same.
- Courses: The academic freedom is limited to values and practices agreed upon by the University. The faculty members are expected to ensure the delivery of the courses content as described in the syllabus. They have the freedom in the presentation of their subjects without obtrusive material, which is not included or approved in the assigned course by the curriculum committee. The review and amendment of any courses will be submitted to the University curriculum review committee and to the Studies Committee if it is a major change.
- University Responsibility: The University shall protect and promote academic freedom by allowing faculty members and students to engage in enquiry, research, teaching or public commentary, as long as it doesn’t contradict with our policies, stance, the law and does no harm to any parties. The University shall recognise viewpoints’ diversity and the right to express lawfully opinions on university campuses and in public mediums. This commitment reflects SEGi University’s dedication to fostering an environment of open discourse while upholding the integrity of our institutional values and legal obligations.
The full copy of this policy can be accessible via the SEGi Connexion Staff Portal.
Policy created on 2022Policy reviewed on 2023