SEGi University Kota Damansara
This programme is designed to ensure undergraduates are ready to transition to the industry upon graduation. It is aimed at producing competent and knowledgeable graduates, at the same time, instilling ethical values in our students. Through effective approaches, SEGi ensures our graduates would possess the ability to work well in a team and can grasp scientific practices at all times. Most importantly, our graduates are imbued with commitment and lifelong desire to continue professional development.
Students will learn the fundamentals and development of medicines. They would ultimately discover how these medicines are used for disease prevention and treatment in a comprehensive manner. They will also learn the practical and professional skills of compounding and dispensing of medicines, provision of health information advice, management of disease and medications.
What will you be doing as a Pharmacist?
Pharmacists are more than just medication dispensers because they are the backbone of the healthcare system. In other words, pharmacists have direct impact on the lives of their patients. Pharmacists practice their craft in different settings, from hospitals pharmacy to community pharmacies. Their advice is needed for medication reviews, patients counselling and also educating the public on diseases and its prevention methods. Their roles are also extended to providing consultancy services and advance scientific research in pharmaceutical industry and academic institutions.
There is an increase in demand for pharmacists in Malaysia and globally due to several factors, among others, rapid growth of healthcare in Malaysia, higher awareness amongst the people to learn more about disease prevention and treatment, a significant rise in the ageing population, as well as booming pharmaceutical industry here and across the globe.
Why Study Pharmacy in SEGi?
- An integrated learning course encompassing excellent learning modalities such as problem-based learning, group tutorials, lab-practical sessions and interactive workshops to deliver a complete learning experience
- A strong emphasis on the integration of work-based and clinical skill trainings under controlled simulated environments to nurture industry specific skill sets
- Emphasis on development of soft skills and career competency that help our students to stand out in the highly competitive field. We bring out the best in inquisitive minded individuals while helping them to develop good work ethics, thus elevating their capabilities so that they are highly sought after by employers
- With wide industrial linkages, SEGi students are guaranteed experiential placements in community, hospital and industrial pharmaceutical settings during their course of study, thus preparing them for their pre-registration year
- Opportunity to undertake a research project in Year 4 under the supervision of academic staffs at SEGi or alternatively, it can be done through collaboration with international partners. It is an excellent option for those wanting to expand their knowledge and skillset for broader career options
- Opportunity for inter-professional knowledge transfer with medical, dental and optometry students through problem-based learning and seminars, besides fostering collaboration with healthcare professionals, which is a critical aspect of career development
- Access to fully equipped, state of the art laboratories within the campus
- Students are guided by a dedicated team with extensive experience and a strong passion for not only the pharmaceutical sciences, but also in the field of academia.
- An up-to-date curriculum which incorporates the latest advances in the evolving field of pharmaceutical sciences
- Programme undergoes continuous and stringent quality assurance by internal and external auditing, ensuring only the highest of standards.
What will I study?
In the first two years of the programme, students will acquire core knowledge in the sciences underpinning pharmacy; and learn skills required for the basic areas of practice. The final two years will emphasise on the application of core knowledge in specific areas of pharmaceutical sciences, and at the same time, proficiency of pharmaceutical sciences would be reinforced. Students will be able to grasp the various research methods, as well as the many intricacies of trialing and medicinal regulations.
Realising the importance of soft skills in the workplace, SEGi places a strong emphasis on development of critical thinking, problem solving, commitment to lifelong learning, evidence-based practice, continuing professional development and reflective learning, as well as appropriate attitudes towards ethics and professional responsibilities.
Students are required to participate in experiential placements in community and hospital pharmacies; and in pharmaceutical industry during the course of the study. The approach will enable them to thrive in an inter-personal workspace, more so in the highly competitive field of pharmaceutical advancements.
Disciplines of study:
- Pharmaceutical Chemistry – It involves design, synthesis and development of new drug molecules; identification, isolation and synthesis of potential drug from natural sources.
- Pharmaceutical Technology – This area studies the physical, chemical and biological properties of the materials used in medicinal products. It also involves formulation, production, quality assurance of medicines, regulatory affairs and clinical research.
- Pharmacy Practice – The scope of pharmacy practice includes the compounding and dispensing of medicines, provision of medicine and health information advice, management of disease and medications, as well as legislation governing the sale and supply of medicinal products.
- Clinical Pharmacy – This is a health care discipline that looks into the basis medicine use and other therapeutic substances in disease and prophylaxis, the potential harmful effects of medicines, their misuse and abuse; and provision of hospital services and pharmaceutical care services to achieve optimum therapeutic outcomes.
With a Pharmacy Degree, you can pursue a professional career, locally and internationally, in various settings not only limited to hospital practice, but also community pharmacies and the increasingly popular field of pharmaceutical industry.
You may be employed in the hospital and community establishments to dispense and review the usage of medicine; educate consumers and other health professionals on drugs and treatments, and also the opportunity to engage in clinical research. Many pharmacists also oversee the development, manufacturing, evaluation, testing, and quality control of drugs in pharmaceutical companies. Work opportunities may very well extend to more diverse roles involving administrative authority such as private consultancy.
As an aspiring practitioner, you will have the ability to practise your advanced research skills and undertake research assignments according to your level of specialisation. Our graduates complete the programme with Honours. For students who score a distinction, you will have the opportunity to pursue advanced research degrees such as a PhD to further strengthen your foothold in the highly competitive field of pharmacy.
- Foundation in Science CGPA 3.0 or above including a minimum of B in Chemistry
- Ministry of Education Matriculation CGPA 3.0 or above including a minimum of B in Chemistry
- STPM CGPA 3.0 or above with BBB or AAC or 1A, 1B, 1C in Chemistry and Biology and Physics or Mathematics, with B in Chemistry
- A-Level BBB or AAC or 1A, 1B, 1C in Chemistry and Biology and Physics or Mathematics, with B in Chemistry
- Diploma in Pharmacy CGPA 3.5 or above
- Diploma in Science (Chemistry/Biology/Physics) CGPA 3.75 or above including a minimum of B in Chemistry
- Degree in Science CGPA 2.75 or above
- Other equivalent qualifications Will be considered on a case-by-case basis
- For Foundation in Science, Matriculation and Diploma : Students must pass SPM with a minimum of 5Bs in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics (or Additional Mathematics) and one other subject
- It is compulsory for all Malaysian citizens to pass Bahasa Malaysia and English with minimum of grade C in SPM or equivalent
- MUET band 3 or
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scoring 550 or
- International English Language Testing Service (IELTS) with minimum band of 5.5 for each skill - Writing, Reading, Listening / Speaking (WRLS)
|Year 1||Year 2|
|Year 3||Year 4|