SEGi University Kota Damansara
Pharmacy Course in Malaysia
SEGi’s Pharmacy programme places an emphasis on bringing up aspiring pharmacists who can make a positive change towards their patients’ well-being, while thriving in the highly competitive field of medicinal advancements.
Be well versed in the knowledge of drugs that range from how they are analysed and made for consumption, to how they are produced into safe dosages for patients and their practical uses in both disease treatments and preventions. The programme combines scientific comprehension while procuring clinical, practical, and professional skills. With this, students are thoroughly prepared to take on the role as capable healthcare professionals in the near future.
What will you be doing as a Pharmacist?
Pharmacists do much more than just prescribe medicine - they are the cog of the healthcare system and have the means to directly impact the lives and lifestyles of their clients. Pharmacists trade their craft in a variety of settings that include hospitals, pharmacies, as well as in research and consultancy institutes. They also provide services such as medication reviews, patient counselling, disease prevention, and education.
Why Study Pharmacy in SEGi?
- Learn how drugs are made first-hand and how medications directly affect the human body
- Study the physical, chemical, pharmaceutical, and pharmacological components of medicine and their application in the practice of pharmacy
- You will gain five weeks of invaluable experience through clinical placements and complete a set of community pharmacy visitations by the end of the fourth year
- Obtain first-hand experience in an array of clinical settings, which include community pharmacies and hospitals
- Gain access to the latest facilities and technology in our well-equipped laboratories
- Be groomed by internationally recognised and award-winning academics who are well-known in the field
What will I study?
Our programme concentrates on the growth of key therapeutic knowledge and good communication skills. As complementary to your pharmacy course, you will enrol in a couple of prerequisites in experiential placements in both community and hospital pharmacies during the course of your study.
The first two years of our programme encompasses a wide range of topics such as chemical, biological, and pharmaceutical sciences with the added incentive of learning the skills required for ethical pharmacy practice in an ever-evolving landscape. During these two years, you will also learn about common diseases and the drugs used to treat them. You will reinforce your skills and knowledge in the third and fourth year with the subject of pharmacotherapeutics. Furthermore, students will gain a firmer grasp of various research methods, as well as the many intricacies of trialing and medicinal regulations.
This programme stresses an emphasis on the development of skills in presentation, research, critical thinking, analytical aptitude, and writing. You will learn how to properly organise and analyse compilations of data and also possess the ability to present them.
Who will employ me?
With a Pharmacy Degree, you can pursue a professional career, both domestically and internationally, in a range of settings such as hospital practice, community work, and pharmaceutical development.
You may be employed in hospital and community establishments to prepare, supply, and observe medicine and its usage; present drug information on medicine to consumers and other health professionals, and also engage in clinical research. Many pharmacists also oversee the development, manufacturing, evaluation, testing, and quality control of drugs. Work opportunities may very well extend to roles as administrative authorities such as private consultants.
As an aspiring practitioner, you will have the ability to practice your advanced research skills and undertake research assignments according to your level of specialisation. All of our graduates complete our programme with Honours. For the students who scored a distinction, you will have the opportunity to take on advanced research degrees such as a PhD.
- Foundation in Science CGPA 3.0 or above including a minimum of B in Chemistry
- Ministry of Education Matriculation CGPA 3.0 or above including a minimum of B in Chemistry
- STPM CGPA 3.0 or above with BBB or AAC or 1A, 1B, 1C in Chemistry and Biology and Physics or Mathematics, with B in Chemistry
- A-Level BBB or AAC or 1A, 1B, 1C in Chemistry and Biology and Physics or Mathematics, with B in Chemistry
- Diploma in Pharmacy CGPA 3.5 or above
- Diploma in Science (Chemistry/Biology/Physics) CGPA 3.75 or above including a minimum of B in Chemistry
- Degree in Science CGPA 2.75 or above
- Other equivalent qualifications Will be considered on a case-by-case basis
- For Foundation in Science, Matriculation and Diploma : Students must pass SPM with a minimum of 5Bs in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics (or Additional Mathematics) and one other subject
- It is compulsory for all Malaysian citizens to pass Bahasa Malaysia and English with minimum of grade C in SPM or equivalent
- MUET band 3 or
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scoring 550 or
- International English Language Testing Service (IELTS) with minimum band of 5.5 for each skill - Writing, Reading, Listening / Speaking (WRLS)
|Year 1||Year 2|
|Year 3||Year 4|