|Smiles of pride and joy beamed from the faces of the graduates and parents who filled the ballroom at the Prince Hotel and Residences Kuala Lumpur on the 4th of December 2011. The American Degree Program graduates received their degrees from the 20th President of Upper Iowa University, Dr Alan G. Walker.|
This year the SEGi American Degree Program saw a record number of 119 graduates from both the Kota Damansara and Subang Jaya campuses, with 31 of them receiving their degrees with honours.
The top student, Ms Abelene Phua, was given the honour of presenting her speech at the beginning of the ceremony. The confident lovely lady gave a moving, inspiring and eloquent account of her experience as an ADP student, which kept everyone in the ballroom hanging onto every clearly enunciated word.
In his speech, President Alan G. Walker congratulated the graduates and added, “This marks a new beginning of your life, a new chapter in what would shape your future. You can be what you want to be, but only if you put your mind to it.”
President Alan G. Walker was also accompanied by nine other delegates from Upper Iowa University, USA:
• Mr. Don Aungst, Executive Vice President and Chief Financial and Planning Officer
• Dr. David Chown, Chief Academic Officer
• Dr. Graeme Armstrong, Assistant Professor and Board of Trustee Member
• Ms. Gina Kuker, Associate Professor of Education
• Dr. Melik Khoury, Senior Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer
• Mr. Chris Sanders, Vice President for International Programs
• Mr. Wendell Snodgrass, Vice President for Alumni Relations
• Mr. Ryan Griffith, Executive Director for International Programs
• Mr. Anthony DiJohn, Student Government Association President
• Mr. Edwin Tan, Director of Asian Programs
The keynote speaker was Dr. Artis Hampshire-Cowan (Senior VP and Secretary, Howard University, Washington DC) who also flew in all the way from the United States to grace the auspicious event.
Delegates from SEGi include Mr. Lee Kok Cheng (CEO of SEGi Education Group), Emeritus Professor Dr. Muhamad bin Awang (Vice Chancellor of SEGi University College) and Dr. Lisa Tan, Principal of SEGi College Subang Jaya.